My Child Has Told Me He/She Was Physically Abused By My Husband. What Should I Do?

Violence within a family is something that always deserves serious discussion. Not only can it have a huge impact on those involved, but any act of domestic violence is also in opposition to the law. If you find out that your child has been physically abused by your husband, you need to take a number of steps. There are protections in the law for those who have suffered from domestic violence, and it is your job as a parent to make sure that your child remains safe. As such, it is important that you take action as quickly as possible to prevent further violence.

What should I do if my child is being physically abused?

First, make sure that you call the police. If your child is has told you that he or she is being physically abused, it is important for the law to become involved. The police can investigate the situation and get your state’s child protective services involved. While this may upset your home life, it is an important step to begin building a safer home for your daughter. Don’t be afraid of the repercussions – while abuse does tend to be systemic, the best first step to making sure that it does not occur again is the make sure that the authorities are involved.

Next, you may wish to consider filing a restraining order. This process varies by state and county, but the police should be able to give you some guidance as to where to. A restraining order will prevent your husband from returning to your home, and cut off contact between him and your child. This is usually a good idea to prevent retaliatory abuse, and the best way to make sure that your child can feel safe in their own home. While it might be a drastic step, it is also one that is recommended by most domestic violence advocates.

Once you have the restraining order, you need to decide what to do as a family. Your husband should seek out some form of counseling, and it is important that you make sure that your children are safe so that they do not risk being physically abused again. Where you go from here is, unfortunately, outside of the world of the law – but you should always remember that the law should always be on the side of those who are victims of domestic violence. If you or a loved one have questions regarding this legal matter, contact Ann Thomson Law  (Seal Beach family law attorney) today at 562-431-4333.

From offices in Seal Beach, the Law Office of Ann A. Thomson serves clients throughout Southern California in communities such as Seal Beach, Santa Ana, Brea, Yorba Linda, Fullerton, Corona Del Mar, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Anaheim, Fountain Valley, Garden Grove, Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Norwalk, Torrance, Rancho Palos Verdes and Los Angeles.
Skip to content