I Got a Job Making Less Money. Can I Have My Child Support Lowered?

Divorced or separated parents usually have a court order in effect for child support. The non-custodial parent pays a certain amount of money per week or bi-weekly. Sometimes a parent’s circumstances will change, and that person will want to change the amount of support that he or she pays. For example, the non-custodial parent may change to a job that pays less than the previous job paid. The income loss will cause that person’s available income to decrease. To avoid getting backed up in arrears payments, the non-custodial parent may want to change the amount of the payments as a temporary solution. A process does exist for such changes.

What is the process to have my child support lowered?

The first step that the non-custodial parent would have to make is completing the necessary documentation. That person will have to explain the change in income to the courts, and that person will have to be prepared to show proof of such changes. Examples of proof are pay stubs that show the drop in hours and pay. A notarized letter from the employer would work well as proof of the changes, as well. The judge will need to see that the non-custodial parent is not just making up a story about the income drop.

The other parent can argue against the changes if he or she feels as though the revised child support amount is insufficient. That parent will need to bring supporting documentation like some of his or her household bills. The parent can bring additional information such as school and medical expense bills, rent statements and more. The judge will try to make a decision based on the needs of both parents while trying to adhere to the needs of the child at the same time.

A non-custodial party may want to secure the services of a reliable family law attorney such as Ann Thomson  Mrs. Thomson is a Seal Beach family law attorney and can assist with various aspects of the child support decrease procedure. Many court proceedings are delayed because one of the parties does not complete the paperwork properly. The courts will always reject incomplete paperwork. An attorney can quicken the process by ensuring that all forms are completed in a prompt and professional manner. An attorney can contact an employer for the documentation that will support the non-custodial parent’s claim. In some cases, an attorney can act as a mediator between two parents. An interested person can contact a reliable attorney and schedule an appointment today at 562-431-4333.

From offices in Seal Beach, the Law Office of Ann A. Thomson serves clients throughout Southern California in communities such as Seal Beach, Santa Ana, Brea, Yorba Linda, Fullerton, Corona Del Mar, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Anaheim, Fountain Valley, Garden Grove, Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Norwalk, Torrance, Rancho Palos Verdes and Los Angeles.
Skip to content