Dual citizenship can make divorce a more complicated process

On behalf of Law Office of Ann A. Thomson, A Professional Law Corporation posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2012.

The Internet has made a lot in our lives easier. It not only connects individuals across the country, but we can buy things at incredible discounts. A lot of items can be purchased over websites like eBay for literally a percentage of the cost, but is buying cheapest always the best?

Divorce is one of those situations where purchasing over the internet is not always a good decision. There are an endless amount of factors that can quickly complicate divorce past what the generic Internet forms can handle. For example, dual citizenship can make even understanding where to file for divorce an issue.

With the ability to quickly pick up and move, living both home and abroad has become much more common. More marriages are entered into between individuals with differing citizenships and more children are born with dual citizenship. So where do you file for divorce? The country you got married in? The country you had your children in? The country you currently reside in? The country you own the most property in?

Not only is the first step of filing a complicated question, but different laws in different countries can make the entire process extremely complex. For example, some countries treat even men’s rights versus women’s rights very differently, causing complication for property division, child custody and alimony.

In some cases of dual citizenship, parental kidnapping is an especially troublesome issue. While many countries have begun to work together to honor custody orders and facilitate the quicker return of wrongfully removed children, not all countries are on the same page.

In instances of dual citizenship or any divorce, an experienced family law attorney should be consulted before any decisions are made — especially if you fear that there could be child custody issues.

Source: Reuters, “Divorce in two countries is double the trouble,” Geoff Williams, Oct. 24, 2012
Ann A. Thomson (Seal Beach family law attorney) can help. Please call 562-431-4333 or contact her online today.

From offices in Seal Beach, the Law Office of Ann A. Thomson serves clients throughout Southern California in communities such as Seal Beach, Santa Ana, Brea, Yorba Linda, Fullerton, Corona Del Mar, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Anaheim, Fountain Valley, Garden Grove, Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Norwalk, Torrance, Rancho Palos Verdes and Los Angeles.
Skip to content